Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 16

Here's today's photo for you guys! I was going to work on some night photography today, but on my trip out to the farm this evening, well, um, my battery died. So I guess you'll have to be content with this sunset.
*Edit* I had a whole blog post written up in my head to accompany this image but while I was posting last night, I simply drew a blank.
I was gonna write something about how I've been shooting completely in 'Manuel' mode. And it's an awesome feeling! When I first got my D80, I thought there was no way I would ever learn how to use all the settings. And I still don't know how to put all the great things in my camera to work. But the fact that I can actually shoot fully manual and know what I'm doing? That's totally, like, cool! Excuse me for sounding like a teenager. Being a teen actually wasn't that long ago for me, so you'll have to excuse me.
First I stayed in 'Auto' mode. Then I began to wander over into 'Aperture' land because I have this thing for awesome bokeh. But the high ISO (grainy pictures) started to rear it's ugly head, so I had to learn about that. And recently I've been working on shutter speed. So where does that leave me? Entirely manual, thank-you very much! And it case it sounds like I'm patting myself on the back- I am. Pure and simple. But seriously, this is such a huge step for me. Something I never thought I'd accomplish! But then, once you've managed to birth a baby, everything else is peachy easy.
And about my battery dying? Yeah, I know, "Bad photographer!" But I have always been told that letting the battery, in anything, go completely dead is better, even if you only do that once in a while, than plugging it in while it still has a small charge. So there. I did it for my camera.
And I forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment