Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Day 10

Today I ventured to take my camera along to the grocery store. And that's kind of a big thing. See, I have this problem. I am SO uncomfortable taking random pictures in public where other people can stand and gawk. And with the kinds of things I shoot, do you blame them? I mean seriously, yesterday it was my drying laundry (is that equivalent of listening to the corn grow?) and today it was olive oil. Granted, the shelf with the olive oil is pretty much favorite, visual-wise, in the entire store. But to take a picture? Yeah, that borders on slightly insane, in need of an asylum. And why would I want other people, especially people I don't know (people who DO know me already know the sad truth) and who live in this small town that I just moved to and am hoping to make a good impression on, to think bad/weird things of me? Yes, I know that was a grammatically bad sentence, but it was the only way I knew to say it.
And yes, the olive oil shelf IS my favorite in the whole store. Except maybe the fancy cheese section. Oh wait, my grocery store doesn't HAVE a fancy cheese. Well, if it would, THAT might be my favorite section. Might.
There's just something about those beautiful glass jars with that gorgeous golden olive oil. It's just so, for lack of a better word, purty. Inspiring. Timeless. Universal. Greasy. Well, it's greasy in a better, healthier way. Honestly, I think I could subsist on the basic, ancient foods of humanity. Wine in glass bottles. Crusty, whole-grain, artisan breads. Wheels of cheese. Freshly-pressed olive oil. All variety of fruits and veggies, herbs and spices. Raw honey, straight out of the comb. Of course, there would have to be some red meat in there somewhere, but eating cows is definitely not a new idea, so that fits in the ancient category too. And to top it all off: fresh, raw, whole milk. Yup, if I could afford it (and had someone to do my cooking), that's what I'd live on. Classic food. That's what I think of every time I see a jar of olive oil.
I know. I'm weird. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for glass bottles. But that is a whole different subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment