Saturday, November 28, 2009

Day 34

Yes, here is our turkey! It turned out wonderfully, if I do say so my self. Told you this was the only way I've ever really enjoyed eating turkey!
Seriously, *pats self on back* I out did myself today. This morning I woke up and baked a pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and crescent rolls. I made the pie crusts on Monday, so they were waiting and ready in the fridge. But all my baked items turned out great! I was so happy- nothing flopped! The pumpkin and pecan pie recipes are definitely keepers- easy and yummy.
Then I put the turkey in to roast. Within an hour of it being in the oven, delicious, herby smells were taking over the house and I was so hungry. And that was a good 5 hours before we actually ate!
And did I mention I outdid myself? Yeah, besides the turkey, pies, and crescent rolls, I cooked and mashed potatoes, cooked sweet potatoes and green beans, made gravy from the the turkey juices, and made stuffing. All from scratch. Yeah. I did good today. Trust me, this is not a normal cooking/baking day for me. But that's fine. I'm happy that for once, everything turned out splendidly tasty and nothing really flopped. Yay, yay, yaaaaaaay!
And this is what that proud beautiful turkey was reduced to it. Carnage. A mere carcass. And lots of leftovers. Yippee!
Oh yeah, I was going to share that turkey rub recipe, wasn't I? Well here it is:

Cajun Turkey Rub
1/2 tsp. salt per pound
2 tbsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. sage
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. allspice
3-4 crumbled bay leaves
Combine spices. Rub bird well with oil. Make pockets in bird with a sharp knife and fill with ingredients. Cover whole bird with mix. Refrigerate 24 hours before roasting. Roast according to time and temperature directions on packaging. Or else google how long and hot hot you should roast a turkey that weighs that much. Oh, and roast it breast side down. This is a trick I learned from my Grandma and it really does work to keep the breast nice and moist.
See? Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. And did I mention how yummy?

No comments:

Post a Comment